Tuesday 7 January 2014

Medium run.

So, The Plan basically involves one long run per week (which I'll do at the weekends), two short runs (which I can squeeze into weekday lunch hours), and one 'medium' run, which I will have to fit into a weekday evening.

I hate running at night.  I never do it.  Especially at this time of year, once I've got home for the evening, the idea of willingly going back outside seems frankly ridiculous.  Ideally, I would rather be eating a lovely hot curry and watching University Challenge, or similar.

However, I intend to stick to The Plan rigorously, and needs must, etc.  So, I set off this evening for my first medium-length evening run.  It was freezing cold, dark (obviously), a bit drizzly and I was tired and grumpy.  Did I mention that I hate running at night?

Except it turns out that... I don't.  Once I got going, I realised I kind of love running at night.  I'm not sure why I thought I didn't, as I have rarely ever done it.  OK, it does make getting out of the front door that bit harder - but that's always the hardest bit anyway.

My designated run this evening was a modest six miles.  This is the ideal kind of length I usually like to do for fun.  When I've considered signing up for a marathon before, one of my fears was always that it would knock the fun out of these sorts of runs.

Happily, my fear was unfounded.  I picked a route I really enjoy and I loved running it in the dark.  I felt as though I was flying through the night.  Almost superhuman as I passed other people's cosy windows, in houses where they were watching Eastenders or eating a nice warm supper.  On the outside looking in, I practically felt like I could be in a David Lynch film.  I sang Bat for Lashes songs in my head and imagined I was in a spooky music video.


I was particularly struck by the fact that there are a lot of smells when running at night that I never usually notice - open fires, the delicious whiff when passing a chip shop.

I am lucky; running in Brighton is never, ever boring.

The six miles flew by beautifully.  I was having so much fun, I ran a bit further than I intended to, with a sprint finish to my front door.  It was the absolute best kind of run.

I keep telling myself that I am surely due a deep, dark trough soon, but - at the risk of repeating myself - I can only describe tonight's run as pure joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment