Saturday 22 February 2014

Sunny Saturday joy

Today was my first long run since the enforced hiatus due to very annoying kidney trouble.  Fortunately, today in Brighton it's sunny and beautiful.  That plus new trainers made for a most joyous morning.

I also for once took my iPod out with me and the time flew as I ploughed through five episodes of Desert Island Discs.  Ant and Dec, Miranda Hart, Barbara Hulanicki, Zadie Smith and Russell Brand, in case you're interested.  Miranda made me LOL somewhere around Rottingdean when she chose one of my favourite songs of all time - Easy Street from Annie (I'm so cool).  Zadie really cheered me up by picking Madonna and Prince as I approached Hove.

I ran a little less than I should by this point - 18 miles instead of 20.  However, I am hoping this will end up being more productive, as I was a little out of the swing for a while.  Next Saturday I really intend to push myself.

It's always a joy running in Brighton, but especially when it's Saturday morning and the sun is sparkling on the sea.  It was one of those mornings when Brighton feels like the closest thing we have to LA in this country.

Although, had I been in LA, I may not have seen the following to delight and inspire me on my journey:

  • A man doing gymnastics on a tightrope.
  • Two small dogs having sex outside a caravan.
  • A beautiful velvet sofa out on the pavement in a fancy street in Hove, which I would have picked up and carried home if I could.
  • A man sitting outside his junk shop enjoying the sunshine, who offered to make me a cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment