Monday 20 April 2015

NDJ's London Marathon - week 16

So the taper continues, as does the increased temperatures. I'd like to suggest that next year's marathon be held in March, just to be on the safe side...

I went out for an hour's run on Wednesday, the hottest day of the year so far at 23 degrees, and although in one way it was quite nice - bright sunshine, no puddles, good chance to practice in my cap - it did freak me out how much more quickly I felt hot and tired. I am really really praying for a temperature below 15 degrees for the marathon, and definitely below 20!

I set out yesterday to run 8 miles, my last 'long run' of these 17 weeks of training, and you know what? I was feeling pretty good. I've been practising sticking to a nice slow pace out of the gate, deliberately slower than my main race pace, as per various bits of advice and to combat my tendency to start off too fast. I got to halfway through and was actively looking forward to the second half and picking up the pace a bit when...

...THE PAVEMENT FOUGHT BACK! Yup, the avenues I've been pounding up and down as part of all my training routes for the last four months decided they'd had enough. My foot landed on a paving slab, it flipped up and, as my foot passed over it (while the rest of my body worked to stop me sprawling headlong into the road), it smacked into the top of my foot.

Having sworn loudly and fulsomely enough to terrify an elderly couple nearby (sorry!), I gingerly walked a few paces to see what was going on. And fuck, it really hurt. There was a big dirty diagonal line across the laces of my shoe, showing where the blow landed. I limped to the river path, to get some space to stop, and took off my shoe. The top of my foot was tender to the touch, but not overly swollen, and I still had full mobility. I rang the husband "I'm okay, but something's happened..."

I walked the 1.5km home, slowly. The pain was abating. Walking felt okay, within reason. I got home and took my shoe and sock off. There was a red patch on top of my foot that was tender and swollen. I slapped on an ice pack and scared myself on Google. I kept reminding myself that full mobility and minimal swelling are good signs.

And today? Well it was painless when I woke up, but it didn't greatly enjoy the walking parts of my morning commute; by mid-afternoon, it was feeling pretty much okay. I still have full mobility and minimal swelling. I'm resting it now.

I've got a 20 minute run scheduled tomorrow. I think it will be fine. Frankly, even if it isn't completely fine, I'm running on Sunday regardless. It'll be fine by then. And after putting myself through all of this for 17 weeks, I am not letting a bloody paving stone stop me running this damn marathon!


I'm running for Crisis, the homeless charity. If you haven't already, please do sponsor me a few pounds - it really will make a big difference. http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/nikidjlondon2015

No comments:

Post a Comment