Sunday 12 April 2015

NDJ's London Marathon - week 15

So, tapering is kind of nice. I had a properly relaxed Easter weekend once the 20 miler was done, in the knowledge that relaxation was actually mandated, although I'm not sure the level of alcohol consumption would feature in any training plans!

I headed out for a short recovery run on Tuesday, which was fine, then a lovely sunny hour's run on Thursday which left me grinning. That said, the increasing temperature is worrying me a bit - after training in freezing conditions for three months, the sudden onset of Spring does present challenges, as exemplified in today's half marathon distance...

I may have been a wee bit overconfident. It just didn't feel like a very long distance in comparison to what I've been doing over the last few weeks. So I may have headed out this morning with just a touch of hangover, and perhaps not enough carbs inside me. And then I made my all too common mistake of starting off a bit fast, which was definitely compounded by the warmer weather and bright sunshine.

It was the first run of the year when I could wear a short sleeved running top, and in retrospect I should have put a cap on too, as my head was feeling a bit boiled towards the end. In the last few kms, I was also thinking a vest top would have been better than a tee - despite a strong wind, it was seriously warm, to the extent that I've acquired faint tan lines on both arms.

So anyway, not being sufficiently fuelled or hydrated, nor properly attired, and starting off too fast, all meant that I ran out of steam after about 10 miles. I made it to 12, and then decided that running another mile with the sun beating on my head and my legs feeling knackered would probably do more harm than good, and stopped. I didn't bonk, but it wasn't far off. Still, maybe it's a good thing to have made the mistakes now and reminded myself of the reasons not to make them on the day!

This week is another couple of shorter runs, and an 8 miler on the weekend, followed by just three 20 minute runs the following week, and then the day itself! I can't quite believe that this time in a fortnight, it'll be over.


As you probably know by now, I'm running the marathon in support of Crisis, the homeless charity. If you'd like to donate a few quid, it would be hugely appreciated: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/nikidjlondon2015

No comments:

Post a Comment