Monday 12 January 2015

NDJ's London Marathon - week 2

I had my first diary challenge this week, because I was spending the weekend in Dublin, and quite apart from not being able to take my kit without paying Ryanair's extortionate baggage fees, I knew perfectly well that I wouldn't get a run in.

So thanks to the wisdom of the internet (Runner's World), I decided to cut one of my shorter runs and bring my long run forward. This meant that after doing my long run last Sunday, I did a standard run on Tuesday and my next long run on Thursday. Luckily because it's still early in the programme, this didn't create too much of a problem, though my legs were feeling tired after the last run.

Tuesday's run was the best kind of night run - cold and clear, with such a good view of the stars that I practically got a crick in my neck looking up while running (slowly!) at the highest point of my route. Running at night always feels like a secret little world to me, as I run past lighted windows and spot people going about their business inside, then run up the hill and into the proper darkness and the view of the stars. But then when I got home and checked my Nike+, I found out my speed, which had felt no different to last week's runs, was considerably slower. It felt like ending the run on a bad note, which I hated. I don't think it would have bothered me if I'd been running for fun rather than training, and this is something that does worry me a bit. I don't want to lose the pleasure of it.

Thursday's long run was fine, sunshine and drizzle as I ran late afternoon - having just agreed to work from home one day a week - although my legs tired a little sooner than normal. It was a good run, my speed was back to normal, and it felt like I was getting the miles under my belt, in the best sense.

So what else is happening... well, there are two dilemmas I'm chewing on.

Firstly, whether to buy new running shoes. I have very basic Nikes, which I love and have done almost all of my running in, but I'm well aware that they don't do anything fancy, and I worry that I'm missing out on potential benefits, or making things harder than they need to be. On the other hand, if it ain't broke...?

Secondly, I have to choose a charity, or charities, to run for. While I'm really pleased to have a ballot place and therefore a free choice, the sheer range of options is dizzying, and all of them deserving. There are definitely areas that I feel more affinity with than others: mental health, supporting people through sport, women in the developing world, and education, but that barely narrows it down. I know it's in many ways a nice problem to have - and maybe I'm being arrogant to assume anyone will want to give me any money anyway - but I'm really scared of getting it wrong. Though can you get it wrong, if it's giving money to charity?  I don't have an answer yet, but I'll need one soon, or there won't be time to raise any cash!

No comments:

Post a Comment