Sunday 4 January 2015

NDJ's London Marathon - week 1

I'm ECW's cousin NDJ, and I'm running the London Marathon on 26 April 2015. So that my regular blog doesn't get filled with marathon talk, she has kindly lent me her Brighton Marathon blog to talk about my upcoming race and the inevitable training!

What do you need to know about me? I'm a 34 year old university manager, with a sideline in writing and photography, and I've been running for just over a year, but haven't tackled a race of more than 10k before, so this is pretty epic! I usually run about three times a week, two evening runs of around 5k and a longer run up to 10k at the weekend. I'm now following a 17 week training programme, which is probably quite similar to most 'beginners' marathon training programmes, which keeps it at three runs a week: two medium runs that include intervals, hills, etc, and one longer run at the weekend.

What else? Well, I got my marathon place through the ballot, which was a huge shock given it's the first time I've entered, and everyone else I know had at least three tries before being successful. My initial reaction was excitement mixed with terror, and I'm still feeling the same way! I am planning to run for a charity (or possibly two) but I still haven't decided which.

Anyway, you'll hear more over the next 16 weeks, but for now, here's the rundown on the first week of training...

Tuesday was my first official training run, and after a week off running which included Christmas, you can probably imagine I wasn't feeling my freshest or fittest. On the plus side, I was able to run in daylight, which was a lovely novelty after running mostly on dark evenings over the last couple of months, although frost underfoot made it a little dicey in places. The plan only had me running 20 minutes, with 10 minute walks either side, which is less than I would usually do, but I have vowed to follow the plan to the letter, so there we go. Actually it was lucky - I could really feel the Christmas weight slung round my waist like a bumbag full of wine and cheese! I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, but it felt good to be back out in the fresh air, and to get the First Official Training Run done!

Normally I would do my second run on a Thursday, but as I was nursing a mild NYE hangover and suffering from lack of sleep, I postponed it till Friday, then did my third, longer, run today. Both runs were glorious - cold, clear weather, steady pace, finishing still feeling strong enough that I could have run further.

I'm under no illusion that at the moment the training is easy because the distances are still safely within my comfort zone. I know it will get harder, and that once I'm back at work this week, juggling the time will get tougher too. But at the moment I'm still feeling optimistic, so long may it continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment