Sunday 22 March 2015

NDJ's London Marathon - week 12

There are some things about marathon training that you probably won't know unless you're lucky enough to have close friends who've done it, and feel comfortable discussing bodily functions. Such as, during the longest runs stage (i.e. now) you won't feel fit from it, you'll feel like shit and your body will go all to hell in the most unexpected ways. Some of the benefits I am currently enjoying include spots, eczema, dodgy digestion, and perhaps more predictably, painful joints. I was hobbling like an arthritic old lady by Saturday night after the 14 miler. On Sunday, anything that involved my knees bending (like, you know, sitting down) was difficult. And by Monday, the nagging pain in my left hip had become a stab with every step I took. Frankly, it's bloody ridiculous.

Now I admit, with the exception of my weekly Pilates session, I probably haven't done enough strength/physio work, so scared along by the hip pain (bursitis - lovely name), I did physio work on Monday night, and prayed it would help me get my Tuesday run in. It did, in that the hip pain was lessened, but I only did half an hour instead of 45-50 minutes, because the pain was flaring up again and sometimes even I am capable of exercising common sense.

Pilates on Wednesday, with its wondrous benefits in the core and hip areas, had a huge positive effect, but I decided to play it safe on Thursday and do another round of physio work rather than run. I figured that would ultimately have more benefit to the weekend long run than another short, and possible hip provoking, run would.

Preparing for a 16 mile run yesterday was very different to the week before - I wasn't scared of it, but I was worried about whether my hip would hold up. To that end, as well as taping my knees, which I have done on long runs in the past, I also followed instructions to tape a giant asterisk over my hip, with the pain spot right at its centre. Did I mention my tape is tiger print? It was quite a look... though thankfully mostly covered by my running tights.

Whether it was the physio, the tape, the extra rest between runs, or just my body adapting to the training, the 16 mile run was better than last week's 14 miler, at least while I was doing it. I still have a tendency to start off too fast and then struggle at the end, but I stuck to my run 5k then walk 1k formula, and although the last couple of kilometres of the fourth round of that were particularly tough, the1.75 'rogue' kilometres to finish the run (25.75km in all) pulled out a last burst of energy, and I finished feeling pretty okay, in just over 3 hours. My hip was twinging slightly and my knees were a little sore, but physically I felt in better shape than at the end of the 12 and 14 milers.

Well, until I almost fainted in the shower, couldn't really eat dinner, and keep feeling like I was swimming through glue.

I honestly don't know what happened. I followed my usual routine of water and cereal bars straight after the run, then stretching and showering, but my body just didn't cope very well for some reason. It was a little bit scary until I googled and found all the other runners with the same reactions after long runs, but even then, it wasn't a pleasant way to spend the evening.

Today I've been okay - knees and general leg muscles much less sore than last week, though hip has flared up again. I'll work through some stretching and gentle physio this evening and tomorrow, and then be running again on Tuesday. It's bizarre to think there's only two proper long runs left before the marathon (the half marathon two weeks before no longer qualifies as a long run, in this context). Honestly, I just want it to be over now.


Don't forget, I'm running the London Marathon in support of Crisis. If you're enjoying the tales of my suffering, why not donate a few quid to ease someone else's? http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/nikidjlondon2015


No comments:

Post a Comment